Thursday, 31 May 2012

Things I've learnt during my time as a minor

So yeah, only a few hours until I'm technically an adult. As such, I will soon be able to do cool shit like go to clubs/bars/liquor stores ^^ So let's recap what I've learnt during my years as a minor:

-The education system is flawed as fuck. Just be reasonably intelligent, attend lots tutoring and pick the high scaling subjects and you'll do pretty well even if you're really lazy (ie. me). Does not reward actual intelligence at all as much as it rewards rote-learning and attendance at tutoring colleges.

-Talent/"giftedness" does not mean much if there is no motivation driving it to a worthy cause. Motivation/determination (something that I probably lack) is a greater gift than raw intelligence.

-Don't bother/think about religion too much. You have your views, they have theirs, no one is going to budge so why bother? I'm glad to be from a non religious family which only goes to the temple like a few times a year, more as a cultural tradition than an actual religious practice.. so I guess my view is biased but whatever. Nothing changes, move on to better things.

-(applies to nearly all asians): Your parents may love you and want you to do well in life, but they are overprotective and you should not follow some of their advice. It's okay to skip school in your early years, drink (not too early), and go out with friends once, twice or thrice in a while.

-People can be stupid as fuck. Think about the level of intelligence that an average person has. Half the population is even dumber. Everyone is a hypocrite.

-Crying actually makes you feel better (most of the time).

-If there's a chance you'll see them again, try to not piss them off. On a similar note, try to be nice to everyone (or atleast not a dickhead to them).

-You are incredibly lucky to be living in such a good country. To have clean, hot water easily available and to live in a society which is reasonably peaceful and harmonious.

-Get braces as early as you can. I kept putting it off until year 11 and yeah :(

-Racist jokes are funny. Racism is not.

-You should do more squats.


No comments:

Post a Comment