Thursday, 20 October 2011

English and post-HSC movies

Wow... looking back at that post below, it's so sappy and QQ-ful it's almost embarrassing... oh wells.

Well, English is over. I still can't believe it- no more belonging, no more Shakespeare or Ted Hughes or Bronte.
Speaking of which, Jane Eyre has to be the worst, worst book I've ever read. Seriously, it's about a girl who lives a tough life and falls in love with some rich guy to discover that he actually has a crazy wife in the attic... so she runs away to this religious guy but needs the previous rich guy in her life so bad that she comes back to him after his wife dies in a fire and marries him. There are basically ZERO insights to be gained from reading that book, other than the fact that poor people and women were treated like crap in Victorian society (but everyone knows that). But... since we're not going to write that in the exam because we'd get marked down, we are forced to say how awesome Jane Eyre is and how it's soooo universally significant to the human condition.

And OMG, seriously, Sylvia Plath. Her works are one of the most self-absorbed pieces of crap I've ever read. She's just like those emo's who spend all day writing about how they want to cut themselves because their lives are so miserable and almost bask in their own despair. She's just like them, just a little more eloquent in her diction. I guess that's what poetry is all about (conveying emotion) but still, she has literally made a name for herself out of her own self-pitying misery.

Shakespeare's great though. Some of the lines and double meanings in his plays are just pure genius- he really shows you the beauty of the English language.

Enough of english, I'm now just going to write a list of movies that I must watch after the HSC that everyone seems to have seen but me:
-Lion King/Toy Story 1 and 2/Tangled
-Matrix series
-Lord of the Ring series
-Star Wars (needs rewatching)
-Titanic/Saving Private Ryan/Apocalypse Now
-Rocky/Rambo
-Bunch of anime feature films (eg. Ponyo/Laputa/Grave of the Fireflies)
-Kill Bill/Pulp Fiction/Schinder's List
-The Godfather (never finished watching it)/Goodfellas/Taxi Driver
-Hero (with Jet Li)/Red Cliff
-Gone with the Wind/Lawrence of Arabic/Seven Samurai
-Psycho/Texas Chainsaw Massacre/Silence of the Lambs

Oh yeah, I've also never read the Harry Potter books (except the first one) so I'll need to catch up on some of my lost childhood after the HSC... although we all know that Snape kills Dumbledore so it's already been spoiled for me.............

No comments:

Post a Comment